OUR GUIDING VALUES
Fair districts must:
- Adhere to all Constitution and Voting Rights Act requirements.
- Compose districts that are equal in population as much as is possible.
- Ensure common communities are kept intact.
- Encourage geographical compactness.
- Not be drawn with partisan motivations for the purpose of favoring or discriminating against a political party or candidate.
Our redistricting reform would:
- Create an independent commission made up of citizens with autonomy over the redistricting process.
- Prohibit government officials, lobbyists, and their families from serving on the Commission.
- Establish criteria for fair geographic representation on the Commission.
- Guarantee citizen’s rights to attend meetings, submit maps, documents, and testimonies during the redistricting process for the Commission to consider.
- Provide for clear criteria and standards to judge them by in the production of fair maps.
- Allow all Political Parties with ballot access, as determined by the Oklahoma Secretary of State, to have equal representation on the Commission.
- Require consensus from a majority of each Party represented on the Commission for the plan to pass.
- Create a backup mechanism should the Commission fail to come to a consensus in a timely manner.
- Limit the Supreme Court’s original jurisdiction to remedy only the specific violation alleged by members of the Commission or Citizens.